Internships provide opportunities to experiment and pursue careers that match academic and personal interests. There are many benefits to completing an internship including increased job confidence, the chance to develop industry-specific abilities and the opportunity to apply the skills you've learned in the classroom in a real-world setting. Internships also increase the likelihood of building professional networking contacts and mentoring relationships. Internships help students become viable, experienced job applicants when seeking employment after graduation. In fact, many employers consider internship experience in the hiring process, and often look to their own interns as the best potential candidates for full-time positions.
"My Kansas City National Security Campus internship was amazing! I explored all things HR in a fun learning environment and had challenging, autonomous projects that stretched my creativity. The connections I made have opened doors professionally."
Anderson Internship Programs
Facilitated Internships are supervised, structured learning experiences in a professional setting that allow students to gain valuable work experience. These internships are stipend-based and facilitated through the Anderson School of Management. This stipend is distributed through students’ UNM Bursar Account. Students earn 3 credit hours and are required to complete a minimum of 160 hours (typically, at least 10 hours per week during the fall and spring. Facilitated Internships are available for undergraduate and graduate students.
- Students must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours at the University of New Mexico
- Students will be required to submit their current or future class schedule and to prove enrollment status
- Students must have an account in good standing at the Bursar's office to receive monthly stipend
- Facilitated Internships will terminate at the time of student’s graduation and cannot be extended unless student is actively enrolled in the minimum required credit hours
- All applications should be received by the following deadlines for the corresponding semesters:
- Spring (January – May): December 1
- Fall (August – December): July 1
Virtual/remote internships are online work placements in your desired career field ranging from 1-4 months with a commitment of 10-30 hours a week. During this time, you will be working remotely with one of over 10,000 host companies in one of 70+ countries on key projects within their business. Unlike traditional internships, you are not restricted to companies that you can commute to. Instead, you are able to work with innovative companies across the globe!
Micro-Internships are short-term, paid, project-based, professional assignments in sales, marketing, finance, human resources, technology, and many other areas. These projects can be completed remotely year-round and typically range from 5 to 40 hours of work. Micro-internships are accessible opportunities that allow students to develop their skills and gain valuable experience.
"My intern experience with Deloitte gave me a comprehensive understanding of the accounting field and equipped me with tangible skills. I wholeheartedly encourage students to pursue internships, as they impart clarity and insight into their career aspirations."
Bhumi Milan Thanki
Earn Free Elective Credit for Internships
Students can receive 3 hours of free elective credit while completing an internship. Free elective credit can apply towards remaining electives needed to complete the student’s degree program.
Internship Requirements and Policies
- An intentional "learning agenda" is structured into the internship experience.
- To allow for adequate job development, students should begin the internship process at least one semester prior to the semester in which they intend to participate.
- At least 160 hours must be worked during the semester.
- Students must register for the Internship for Credit Course (either MGMT 497/MGMT 697) once approved.
Please note: You cannot earn retroactive academic credit for internship experiences.
To have your internship approved for Free Elective Credit, please submit an Anderson Internship Approval Form. Please Include as much detail as possible such as anticipated start date, anticipated employer(s), and expected duties and responsibilities.
If you have any questions about the process, please contact Kelsey Molo for additional information.
"My Costco Wholesale internship taught me the ins and outs of operations. I learned about each department, experienced the company culture, and connected with supportive co-workers. I developed management skills that will serve me well in my career."